Dog Barking Tips
Barking is natural. This is the only way dogs can vocally communicate with each other. Although barking is perfectly normal, sometimes it becomes a real problem when you cannot control it.
- Use a command such as “quiet” in a firm way and wait to see your dogs reaction. If your is dog still barking, gently move toward them and say the command one more time using a physical correction.
- If your dog is barking at the door, ask your guest to give you a moment to calm your dog down. The key is to follow through and do not give up until your dog stops barking.
- Stay calm and firm. Do not get frustrated, bend over your dog, or raise your voice, that only sets you up for failure. You want your dog to observe your calm energy, so stay relaxed and consistent.
- Sometimes barking can be a result of pent-up energy or frustration. Try to fit daily dog walks in your schedule for a more balanced and healthy dog. Walking is a good exercise for both body and mind, and is a great stress reliever for you and your dog.
- Contact us at Heaven Sent K-9 in Orange County if you struggle with excessive dog barking.